Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Crisis Averted

We found out that the house we liked is under contract. I guess I'm relieved? It would have been a ton of work.

And where do you even rent a backhoe?

The whole situation did help us resolve a few things. We know the neighborhood we want to live in, so we will just wait for the right house to come on the market. And we will be ready to move fast when it does--the house we liked was under contract in three weeks! (And we felt like it was a little overpriced. We may need to adjust our thinking there.)

Other updates:

My cleaning plan has failed miserably. I did manage to attend to the daily tasks I had listed (making the bed, doing the dishes, etc.). Of course I had already been doing that stuff. And I'm on top of the bathrooms and kitchen. But I'm not sure why I find it so impossible to dust this house! Obviously I need to have people over to spur me to some action.

I've been running! Last time I was out I managed 1.75 miles. The ankle is holding up. It is twingy occasionally but I think I am just going to have to chalk that up to getting older. I'm going to try to get to 2 miles, then stick with that, maybe indefinitely. It's better to be able to go a short distance than to not do anything at all (which is how I spent the month of July, and it was torture).

My sister has been decluttering her house using the Marie Kondo's method. (The Wall Street Journal calls Kondo "stern and enchanted, like a fairy godmother for socks.")

As far as I understand it (and that's not far at all), the Kondo method involves gathering all of the items in a category, say clothing, and culling ruthlessly based on whether or not the item "sparks joy." When I mentioned the method to my husband, he commented that if we were to get rid of all the things in our house that don't "spark joy," we would have no furniture. This unfortunately is true.

Off to look at Joyce's Hodgepodge questions. See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment