Friday, October 16, 2015

House Hunters

Not the TV show.

I've mentioned before that we live in a big house built back in 1920. We have loved living here but it's going to be far too big for us when our nest is empty next fall. So we have begun to look...just to get a feel for what's out there. My wish list includes the following (and clearly I will have to compromise at least a little):
  • Newer
  • Lots of light
  • Open floor plan
  • Three bedrooms
  • Two and a half baths, including master bath
  • Large master closet
  • Large kitchen, island nice but negotiable
  • One dining area
  • One living area
  • Small, easy to maintain yard

This is what I'm thinking! Source


My husband's wish list is smaller:
  • Three-car garage

Source


We've pretty much agreed that a newer townhouse would probably suit us just fine. The three-car garage...may have to go.

So we're out looking Sunday, and we are in one of the prettiest neighborhoods in our town. All older houses and big leafy trees. And we come upon this house:



It's on a quiet street and in a great location (walkable to a bunch of stuff). It seems solidly built. It's modestly sized. And we are in love. We go home and check realtor.com. Can I tell you a little about this house that we seem to have fallen for?
  • It is the right square footage
  • Older than current house
  • Not open floor plan
  • Five (tiny) bedrooms (two are in attic)
  • One bath
  • Smallish kitchen
  • Large yard with pool
  • Tons of flower beds, trees, garden

And to top it all off:
  • No garage

Can you see where this is going?

Yes. Now we're discussing a gut renovation complete with building a detached three car garage. I even caught my husband watching a YouTube DIY video on how to fill in a pool. (Which evidently involves renting a backhoe? Tell me I'm not the only one who thinks this sounds like a bad idea.)

Of course we have yet to see the inside of this house. I don't know if I should be hoping it is perfect for a reno...or if it is completely unworkable.

No comments:

Post a Comment