Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Road Trip!

Just back from a trip to the Midwest to take a last-minute look at two colleges my son is considering. You'll be pleased to know that he eliminated a moderately priced match school and added an expensive reach.

The people in the Midwest are so friendly. Maybe I'm just jaded from growing up in New England and many years spent in Washington and Philadelphia, but I could not believe how many people struck up conversations with us and seemed genuinely interested in our trip.

We met the nicest couple who told us all about their bike trips through France. Evidently they liked to pedal between villages with absolutely no plan for where to eat or sleep. This meant several late-evening rides to the next village to look for a hotel with a room. I could tell my husband was liking the sound of this, so I made sure to squelch his nascent plans quickly. I could get behind a biking trip, although a walking tour is probably more my speed (see what I did there?). But there is no way on God's green earth that I will be participating in any situation where it is unclear if a bed will be available at night.

We got to make a quick stop in Chicago. I love that city.




And the common app essay is now written, thanks to a four-hour train ride. One essay down, (at least) ten more to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment